Product design for Secure Broadcast
How do you reinvent video production for the corporate arena?
Product Design | User Experience | Mobile | Brand | Video
Secure Broadcast's vision is to democratise video production and equip a new generation of self-motivated and creative employees with the tools to tell their own story within their organisations.
Existing solutions require the use of a host of dispersed tools to manage various parts of the process. The challenge was to design an end-to-end digital platform which provides the user with a seamless experience from the moment they hit record to the point it lands in front of the viewer.
While existing video production tools for mobile are somewhat "dumbed-down" versions of powerful desktop editing suites, they still frighten the average user with too many features and confusing interfaces. My goal was to remove the learning barrier and make it as intuitive as possible for anyone to create professional quality video.
Part of Secure Broadcast's USP is automated branding - something no other video platform can currently offer. We developed a system to apply pre-approved branding to any video, with the ability to easily reuse content by swapping the entire graphics package out in one touch.
Secure Broadcast is not just a creation tool - it is an end-to-end video management platform, with a fully searchable archive of tagged content, sign-off and compliance controls and a Netflix-like video-on-demand consumption interface.
As Head of Design, I was responsible for helping distil the initial business concept into a buildable MVP. Following release of MVP, I was responsible for conceptualising and pitching new product features and helping to steer the product roadmap. I also managed a team of designers working on the UI/UX Design for a suite of cross-platform apps, working closely with the CTO and development team to turn these designs into reality, before undertaking user-testing and iterating on features. As in-house brand lead, I was heavily involved with the marketing and media communications teams to ensure the Secure Broadcast brand was appropriately represented both publicly in the media and in client communications.
- Member of Senior Executive Team involved in setting key strategic goals and action plans.
- Member of Senior Product Development Team responsible for planning feature roadmap based on business objectives.
- Design Team Leader responsible for overseeing design staff and ensuring development is supported with wireframes, prototypes and animations.
- Senior Brand Consultant for key clients, helping them to evolve their corporate brands for use on video.
- Defining the objectives of the product roadmap based on user research, customer feedback and business goals.
- Conceptualising product features and communicating these to stakeholders and Development team via wireframes, prototypes, hi-fidelity mockups and animations.
- Establishing UX best practices and providing training and guidance to Design and Development teams.
- Instituting in-house brand values and designing digital brand strategies for Fortune 500 customers.
- Leadership of Design team including mentoring and coaching junior team members and interns.
- Testing and analysing features as they are built to ensure they meet the criteria set out in the UX objectives.
- Communicating directly with users to understand pain points for future development or iteration of features.
- Analysing product usage and customer output to discover where communication and training should be focused.
‘‘Meticulously researched, passionate and personal in his attention to mentoring designers under him.’’- Richard Johnston, Former Head of Product at Secure Broadcast